Friday, January 27, 2012

There but for the grace of God, go I.

[I'm not sure where I'm going with this...yet.]
There's been a lot of talk in the last few days from various bloggers* and online articles and status commenters about not being judgmental of other people.  This, of course, is not a new concept.  "Judge not, lest ye be judged," and all that.  I know all this.
Yet, we - - we, as Catholics; we, as Christians; we, as plain old good people - - are called to be discerning, to figure out good and evil, to have opinions about who and what we encounter in the world.
My new year's resolution last year was to be less judgmental.  To me, that meant I was to feel less superior about the various choices I had made which differed from those of other people.  It meant being less snarky, and having less of a knee-jerk reaction of thinking, "Well, THAT'S stupid!!" when faced with someone who didn't make the exact same choices I would have.  To be honest, I think the year went quite well.  I do think I've become less judgmental.  And I feel good about that!
My new year's resolution THIS year, is to feel less judged.  So far, this is proving to be quite a bit harder.  It is very difficult for me to say, "I don't care what others think of me" and actually mean it.  But I am working on it.
I read an essay a while back called "What you think of me is none of my business."  It's good to re-read this once in a while.
Ok... so I'm in a weird place now.  Not judging people, not feeling judged...  How the heck am I supposed to use Facebook??



*Disclaimor - I almost didn't want to link to that article.  I'm worried that there's some back-link system that will bring people here from there and this blog isn't ready yet, and I'm just yammering on and haven't gotten serious about my writing yet, and <sigh> I'm trying to feel less judged.  : /

No comments:

Post a Comment