Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Failure to Plan is a Plan to Fail

I don't know who originally said it, but it sure does seem to be true in my life. Eating, exercising, praying, chores - - whatever! If I don't at least make a mental note, a virtual to-do list, things don't get done.  Yes, sometimes I have to wing it, but it's rarely the best way to go.

Monday, I flew by the seat of my pants. I'm currently in Week 3 of the Couch-to-5K program, so I knew I'd be running that day, but that's as far as my planning went. And guess what? That's pretty much all I got done that day.

Monday night, before I went to bed, I decided... "Tomorrow: I will pray first thing in the morning (one decade of the rosary, starting small); I will fold & put away all the laundry (4 loads); I will vacuum the whole downstairs (including the entryway, a veritable sandbox)." And guess what?? I did it! All of it! I accomplished everything I set out to do, and then some! I cleaned the downstairs bathroom, scrubbed one of the upstairs showers, and changed the sheets on my bed! Amazing!

What was NOT amazing was that I didn't exercise (other than the marathon of chores, of course) and I snacked on anything and everything ALL DAY LONG! Those were two areas I hadn't formulated a plan for, and well... that's what happens when I wing it.

So, here we are today. Wednesday. Wed. Nes. Day. (Can anyone spell it without pronouncing the parts separately?) What have I planned for today?
  • Dinner - Jambalaya. (From a package of frozen components. I really should just make it myself. Next time.)
  • Exercise - c25k week 3, day 2. Just do it.
  • Chores - fold and put away another load of laundry (the sheets from my bed and whatever misc. clothes were still dirty after all yesterday's laundry was done), empty & reload dishwasher.
  • Bills - need to enter my receipts into my check register and pay whatever bills are due.
  • Food - don't eat between meals, except maybe one snack. Drink more water!!
There are probably 500 other things I could add to that list, but this is certainly sufficient - especially if I stick to it! And, um, please don't notice that it's almost noon and the only thing I've accomplished is something that was NOT on my list for today: begin a new blog.

1 comment:

  1. Finished it all but the bills!
    It's lame to be the first commenter on my own blog, but I thought a follow-up progress report was apropos.

    ReplyDelete